So as some of you may know, we have very recently relocated and I posted earlier on the challenges of moving preps. Those challenges have continued to grow and I’ve spent the greater part of a month trying to resolve a number of issues. The most fundamental problem that we ran across was that we moved to smaller home and truth be told, we had done a pretty effective job at filling up the old one. We spent weeks here at the new location just unpacking and trying to shoehorn items away—while trying to get the household up and running. For example, the first few days I did all the cooking on the gas grill in the back yard because we could literally not get to the stove in the kitchen because of all the boxes. But we sorted it out eventually.
Preps have presented us with a unique series of problems to solve. With limited storage I’ve had to get creative in our use of space. Food preps initially started out in the garage—not a big deal right now due to the cooler temperatures—but I eventually found a place for them in the house, in a temperature controlled environment. Other items such as hygiene and medical items are still scattered about—mostly in the garage, and I’m trying to work my magic on that as well. Though truth be told, I’ve hit some chokepoints and efforts have definitely slowed to a crawl.
While all of this has been going on we’ve experienced some weather along the way. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes in the local area to be precise. Under normal circumstances this would be something to take in stride, but since we’re currently building the airplane in flight we experienced some hiccups. Last night in particular, the power went out and we were quickly enveloped in darknesses’ warm embrace, all while the house was pelted with hail and the winds howled outside—the sound of the wind punctuated by the occasional wailing tornado siren.
Candles were lit within seconds. Check—no problem, first hurdle cleared smooth as silk.
Flashlights came out, tested—all functioned perfectly. Check.
Weather radio… crickets, crickets… not so smooth. I had to go find it. So I put my headlamp on and ventured out into the garage. Luckily I had unpacked it and it was on an easily accessible shelf. I brought it in, but the battery was not charged—a screw-up, and something I should have anticipated since I knew that bad weather was on its way all day long. Luckily the radio has a hand crank on it and we were able to listen to the weather reports… at least until we got tired of cranking on the handle. Bottom line though, the equipment was recovered in a timely manner, though it was clumsy and it should have been prepared ahead of time. (Post Script: It became quickly apparent that the only other radio in the house was in my iPod, which also had a low battery!)
At this point most of the drama was over and the worst part of the storm had blown on past us. Now we were sitting in the living room chatting by candlelight. Boredom began to set in, that was until a guitar appeared and was quickly followed up with a deck of cards. Check… no more boredom.
I was enjoying an alcoholic beverage at the time and began to ponder the issue of drinking water should the power remain out for an extended period of time. It then dawned on me that during the move I had neglected to refill my short-term water storage containers. I usually have about nineteen gallons of properly chlorinated water stashed away in case of emergency, but those containers were empty as I had not yet gotten around to refilling them. Even though we had plenty of other (non-alcoholic) things to drink around the house, the water could have been used for more than just drinking if it was needed. Flushing toilets comes to mind. So that was another lesson learned—get the water supplies replenished… pronto.
All in all the experience wasn’t terribly bad, but I definitely need to fix a few things around here right away. I wasn’t as prepared as I should have been. Hopefully this is helpful for some of you out there.